Monday, January 26, 2009

Ugly Like Orangutans

Eating: going to break into some full fat Fage when my stomach settles; also some brazil and macadamia nuts
Drinking: water
Listening: Bamboo-In sample honryoku
 
I did repeats of two previous exercises today, all together: 5 6 7 8s and a hillclimb tabata.  For the 5 6 7 8s, I was only able to match my previous count of 8, despite the fact that it was 3:30 PM and the gym was empty.  Two things could explain this: one, I could have messed up the count last time, or two, it has been so long since I've done any kind of pulldown or pullup that those slowed me down significantly.  I did feel like the pulldowns were the weak link, although the pushups weren't great either.  The good news is that (if I remember my multiplication tables correctly) that is 40 back extensions, 48 pulldowns, 56 pushups and 64 situps. 
 
The tabata was also pretty rough, and I did lose count, but erred on the side of an extra rep.  I did it at a 6 mph / 10 minute mile pace, just like in November, and completed it easily although I wouldn't say that it felt great. 
 
So, what does this all mean?  I am at least as fit as I was in December, maybe?  I take some solace from the fact that I've put in the hours on the Pema Hillclimb Machine lately.  Also, I remember trying to get in shape for a BC trip a couple of years ago (maybe last year) and blowing all my gains by drinking and smoking immediately prior, and I clearly haven't done that. 

No comments: