Thursday, June 25, 2009

Treadmill Tabata

 Or rather treadmill half-Tabata. 
 
5' at 7 minute mile
 
4 x 20" run, 10" rest at 8 minute mile, 15 incline
 
swim 5 laps
 
Running at a 7' pace is hard.  It feels really fast.  I had originally planned to just kick up the pace for the Tabata and keep the thing level, but I think I would have lost control of my limbs, so I inclined it.  As for bailing, I probably would have died of a heart attack if I had continued at that pace.  No thanks.  
 
It might make sense, if circumstances force me to run on a treadmill again, to do 4 x 5' run, 3' rest or something like that. 
 
Found this article by Danny Dreyer which sheds a lot of light on what I have been doing wrong on my longer runs and why my calves have been feeling so torched afterwards.  Today I think I did a good job of midfoot landing but of course the treadmill is a different game.

No comments: