Saturday, June 20, 2009

HIIT sprints

ran 9 x (30" sprint, 60" rest)

I think I got this protocol from the Life Spotlight guys.  Not sure.  Anyway I ran down to 1st St, into the park there, and over to my sprinting trail.  Thirty seconds is just about one length of the part that is complete forested. 

I read something on Running Barefoot while I was procrastinating on running (after sleeping in) about cadence and so my warmup run was a little quicker and I think much less painful than my last experiences with non-sprint running.  160 steps per minute is pretty fast, but I found that if I deliberately sped up and did short kind of bouncy steps, other aspects of form such as pelvic tilt and bent knees fell into place a little more easily. 

The protocol actually calls for 10 sprints, but after 9 I had completely lost the ability to accelerate (actually I think that happened towards the end of 7) and I was right next to my house.  Note for the future, start from the house end to avoid moral hazard.  I didn't feel as barfy as I did after the Tabata on Tuesday, but I had to rest several times coming up the stairs and I looked like a dying tomato when I got back.  So far the only thing I've had the stomach to do is pour myself a glass of water and eat a handful of grapes.  My head actually kind of hurts.

One thing that I keep completely forgetting to do is tighten the inner corset while sprinting.  Oh well, next time. 

Tomorrow's run will again feature the three-minute run/walk cycles, but I'll try to keep pace up a bit higher. 

No comments: