Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Politics and lunch don't mix

Listening: 3 6 Mafia, Stay Fly (Diplo remix)
Drinking: nothing (but I just had a double espresso)
Eating: Kentucky ham appetizer and tartare at Bar Americain

Just had an interview lunch with DL and a really nice candidate from the Midwest. Altogether a pleasant experience, although Sarah Palin came up and I had to defuse the situation.

I spoke to SK this afternoon and I am going ahead with my meeting tomorrow afternoon, even though I really don't have any intention of going anywhere. That will require some prep - I want to read at least one of MR's articles, some China Business, and do a little review of the stuff that I've worked on here. I was supposed to send her a CV but I don't really see the point - my CV is five years old and I don't have any interest in revising it this afternoon.

There is a ton of other nonsense I have to do this afternoon - pay my most-overdue student loan, register for a CLE, read some more Chinese regulations, email YC about changing the time for the meeting tomorrow. I think I am going to neglect my big deal in favor of those.

Looking for something to read on the can (which is one of the biggest risks around here - sometimes turns into a horrible thirty minutes of desperately searching the net for a first-person account of sailing across the Pacific or something along those lines), I hit Arts and Letters Daily, and found some great stuff. Just now I read an incredible piece on bullfighting, and earlier this morning I read an amazing book review on economics and culture. It may be the meditating, but I am less worked up about immigration than I used to be, although I still agree with the author on this point:
All-important shared cultural values can erode or be lost if too many immigrants with persistent Malthusian mindsets join in only to exploit the comforts of a wealthy host country. The result may be the same if kindhearted multiculturalists remove the pressures on newcomers to adapt to the needs of productive life in Australia. The necessary integration does not require that immigrants give up their cuisine or festivals, but they must adopt fundamental values such as the commitments to self-reliance and to save and invest, as well as a respect for the fundamental rule of law, which also implies shunning violence.

Not sure if the gym is in the cards today, I'll see how the afternoon goes. I can't go home early because the gd inlaws are there, no doubt walking around with their shoes on and pawing through my closet.

No comments: