Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Running b/w Sick as a Dog

Just ran 1.5 miles in the Five Fingers.  Felt great.  A little tightness / spazziness in the left ankle but nothing to complain about. 

I have also just missed two days of work thanks to my friend Mr. Flu.  I think it's probably six months to the day since I was laid out for 48 hours in BC, so I guess I was due.  The first signs were on Friday, when I couldn't tolerate the cold portion of my shower, but I didn't pay them any mind and went out normally.  Actually, it's a bit misleading to say normally, because I don't really go out at all since I became a father.  We went over to HS's, had some weed and some cigarettes, and lots of beer and Italian food.  I woke up feeling very achy which I attributed to the pushups etc on Friday.  Saturday afternoon WJ and co had a roof party, and I spent lots of time outside in the kind of shitty windy weather drinking beer and eating gross hotdogs, with the buns.  Now that I think about it, that was some of the worst food I've ever had at a BBQ.  By that time the sour taste in my mouth was kicking in.  That should, in the future, be the signal that it's time to cancel all plans, take a 20-minute hot shower, and drink 100 cups of ginger tea.  But no - I smoked more weed and had some more beer (HS came over).  Despite gargling with GSE and rinsing out my nose, I slept like shit Saturday night (cold sweats, couldn't breathe).  This gave me a lot of sympathy for people who are trapped in the medical system, as well as the epiphany that 19th century invalid literature - for instance, the Magic Mountain - makes sense as descriptions of altered states of consciousness.  Sunday was a wash, but I have been feeling progressively better since then.  Some lessons:

  • Drink your vinegar (I have not been drinking vinegar lately)
  • Listen to the signs
  • Listen to the Wife

No comments: