Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Invalid BBS

pulldown 120# 14 (last week's 190 was a typo, should have been 130)
overhead press 50# 15
leg press 220# 14
seated row 80# 12
chest press 100# 8
 
steam (longer than usual), hot shower
 
The idea here was to take it easy on my sick ass, knock down each weight by 10#, and do maybe 15 or more easy reps of each, still until failure but more from exhaustion than from inability to push farther.  Well, I should have dropped the weights more.  In terms of effort, it was probably 90% of last week, and in some cases (probably leg press and seated row) it actually felt harder.  Being sick really (to put it Victorianly) seems to have sapped my strength. 
 
This experiment did, however, make me think that there could be space in my routine for a different kind of exercise to failure - many reps, or very slow reps, of maybe half the weight that I am capable of cranking out 10 normal-speed reps.  Slow, of course, would be much in the original spirit of Body By Science, but I also like the idea of doing 25 reps and then collapsing - kind of like German volume training, maybe. 

No comments: