Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Fasting

I (uncharacteristically) fasted for YK and (even more uncharacteristically) had a really easy time with it.  In the past, I've found fasting to be an unbearable hell, with every single second spent thinking about food.  Not this time.  I prepped by eating a bacon double cheeseburger, a bowl of chili and a huge milkshake (made with Vermont ice cream, how was I going to pass that up?) around 2 pm and then a package of prosciutto and a banana (going primal at Duke's sucks) around 5:30.  I then didn't eat until around 8 the next day.  Sure, I was hungry as hell when I actually sat down to eat, and I did take a nap, but otherwise I felt great.  I meditated for about half an hour and scooted (?) a mile and a half, and actually considered going for a little run, although I ran out of time.  The bottom line: it felt good.  This morning, I had planned to take it a step further, not eating until lunch (so like 18 hrs without food) and working out on an empty stomach.  Unfortunately, I was in the office until 2 AM, so I was so dazed when I got in this morning that I wasn't able to motivate to the gym before people started giving me stuff to do. 
 
The funny thing is that I don't really remember why fasting is supposed to be good for you.  At this point it just feels liberating to not be tied to food intake. 

No comments: