Monday, March 2, 2009

Sunday - Climb to the Top

Sunday was the big day.  I was up early and in a scary livery cab for the 6:15 check-in.  I then had an hour to wait around the Rock Center concourse.  I was feeling pretty nervous.  I had received a Facebook message from JM the night before telling me that JP, who was a friend in high school, has MS, and while I was pacing around waiting for the start I checked status updates and saw one of his saying that he was fighting the MonSter.  I found that very motivating.  I wasn't going to race with anyone's name on my back, but after I saw that I went over to the name thing table and wrote out his name. 
 
I got into the start corral early, around 7.  I was mostly keeping to myself and warming up, but the dude in front of me noticed the Five Fingers and asked about them.  We had a nice, nervous conversation.  He said he was going to try for 10 minutes and I tried to hide my incredulousness.  He also told me about the fire fighter test, which made me think a weight vest would be a neat thing to have.  Anyway, we made it to the front of the line.  He was off like a shot and I think that eliminated any lingering concern of mine to have a conservative race.  I beeped in and took off, in the process failing to hit my watch's timer button.  I made it up ten flights or so before noticing this.  At this stage I was alternating double and single steps.  I quickly realized that double steps would cause me to, uh, die, so I went to singles but kept a very sharp pace.  I passed dozens of people.  I skipped the first rest stop, grabbed a cup of water at the second, and basically just kept the pace.  I was feeling very, very motivated.  Some clown in a team t-shirt that I had passed earlier caught up to me in the 60's but I turned it on a bit more and he did not pass me.  The whole way I was thinking "15 minutes might actually be possible," but I ended up on top in light snow after only about 13:30.  I feel very, very good about the whole thing. 

No comments: