Wednesday, March 4, 2009

HIIT or HIT

Eating:  a steakhouse salad from Chop't, but with mesclun and extra pepper
Drinking:  water
Listening:  Hammer
 
Run 5' at 9:30 pace
Tabata hillclimb at 6 mph / 10' pace, change to 6.1 mph after 4
4' rest
Run 20' at 10 pace
 
Inspired by Fitness Black Book's ghetto-ass fat loss thing.  Note that I did not fast first, so of course I totally missed the whole point, but I didn't have the nerve to not eat anything all morning and then do a Tabata.  That is something I will work up to for sure.
 
The Tabata was - dare I say it - easy.  It flew by, I did not feel like I was going to go into cardiac arrest, and I got a little skin flush but nothing like in the past.  I must be doing something right!  I just wish I had responded a little more quickly and kicked it up to 6.3 or something.  I guess I was worried about overdoing it.  The 20' run also felt pretty good, a little tightness in my left ankle and continuous clock-watching aside.  What I should say is that it was boring but didn't feel bad, and it was nice to set a goal and not flake out by bailing early or turning the speed down, both things I was strongly tempted to do.  I need to get one of these in a week in order to be finishing half-marathons and marathons in a couple months.

No comments: