Monday, December 22, 2008

snow run

On Saturday, I secured permission for a 30 minute run during one of the Little Monster's naps.  I hit the park (under about 1" of good heavy snow with about 1" of ice under that).  I stuck with the road until I got to the big downhill, where the temptation of the long staircase was too much.  I ran up that, then down through the trees and along a little logging road for a while.  It was just like being in Vermont, or Montreal.  I came out of the park on the Kensington side, ran up to 15th Street and went back in then out at 9th.  As I came up to the house, I noticed our neighbors loading bags off the stoop into their car.  Not wanting to be seen in public in the five fingers, I continued to 1st Street and then back and in.  Total time: 30 minutes on the nose.  Fun as hell. 
 
The five fingers are incredible in ice and snow.  In fact the only slight discomfort came from transitioning on and off the road, where the road salt slurry was.  That was wet enough to get in on the sides and highly uncomfortable, but not for long.  On the whole I took it easy and felt really good. 

No comments: