Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Fascia and Tabata

Eating:  nothing
Drinking:  some nice old pu'er
Listening:  Give Me Power
 
2 x (5 push-down pullups; 10 goblet squats, 20#; 10 OH squats, 30#? (lightest bar))
 
Tabata incline 15, 9:22 pace
 
Amusingly, as I suspected earlier, the Tabata mp3 I have is in fact 9 reps, not 8. 
 
I read an interesting article by the guy who wrote Born to Run today, thanks to a post on Matt Metzgar's blog.  It resonated, especially considering that my neck and shoulders were almost totally frozen on I think it was Thursday or Friday night.  I have to admit I am totally intrigued by the whole process and I even went ahead and bought Ming Chew's book, which was recommended by one of Matt's commentors.  Really looking forward to trying some of the stretches. 
 
Some notes on the exercises themselves:
  • Push-down pullups: grip out, thumbs out, quick up, push down, bounce back up.  On the second set, I put my hands a little wider apart than shoulder width.  Certainly these are at least a little bit easier than ordinary dead hang pullups.  I suppose they helped with shoulder mobility a bit.  I hung before and after each set.  To be honest I don't really understand what this was supposed to accomplish or why it was better for me than normal pullups.
  • Goblet squats: dumbbell held vertically to the throat, fairly explosive.  Much like normal squats, although I think it was easier to get deeper.  I should do this with a much, much heavier weight.  A very enjoyable exercise, fun to concentrate on the form and feel the springiness in my legs.
  • Overhead squats: I think the bar was 30#, and I held it over my head.  Still very, very hard to keep level and to do a full set.  I kept trying to tip forward (although only at my waist and above; my feet stayed flat on the ground) and my back was very engaged trying to keep the thing over my head.  It seemed like I should be "sitting" more. 
  • Tabata: undeniably easier than usual, possibly thanks to the warmups.  I need to pick up the pace a little.  Really noticed how asymmetrical my stride is.  Each of the soles of my feet seems to have a totally different way of striking the ground. 

No comments: