Thursday, July 9, 2009

Treadmill Tabata and swim

5' running just below, and just above, 9 minutes per mile
 
8 x 20" run, 10" rest at 9 minute mile, 15 incline
 
swim 5 laps
 
hot shower / cold shower
 
Finally, I got the right pace.  The warmup run felt great.  I would say that it felt sustainable.  I could run at that pace for a while.  When I paused pre-tabata, my left calf felt a little firm, but that was all.  My forward lean was also getting better after about two minutes.  It's a very distinct feeling. 
 
The Tabata was ugly.  I actually didn't complete - skipped the last 4 or 5 seconds.  No shame in that, because it was literally 10 or 15 minutes before I was sure I wasn't going to puke.  My face was purple.  I had to lock myself in the bathroom and splash cold water on my temples and wrists.  I am patting myself on the back for two reasons.  One, the HGH flush.  Whether or not it's for real, it feels so good.  Two, power law, and the idea that subjecting the body to intense stress leads to a strong adaptive response. 
 
The swim was whatever.  I felt pretty strong.  Burping up little bits of vomit didn't make me go any faster.  The cold showers don't faze me at all anymore.  My shower at home is much, much colder. 

No comments: