Wednesday, July 29, 2009

EF #3 (yesterday)

exercise   weight/reps   weight/reps   weight/reps

seated row 60/15 80/8 100/3
chest press 70/15 90/8 110/1
pulldown 90/15 110/8 130/5
overhead press 20/15 40/8 60/2
leg press 200/15 240/8 280/5 (chair should be set on 4)
 
Steam, cold rinse, hot shower, cold shower
 
Slightly better in the leg press (due no doubt to all that hiking), slightly worse in the chest and overhead press.  My wrist/grip in the pulldown felt very shaky, but I still managed the 15 and 8.  My legs didn't feel as wiped as they should have, and I had an easy time walking downstairs after the workout, a sure sign that I didn't go hard enough.  On the positive side, though, I feel like my form on the leg press is better.  I focused on keeping my back very straight, like I would on a squat, and felt like my butt and lower back got more work than usual.  My shoulders really feel like they got a good workout too.
 
One interesting general observation is that I was able, on all the exercises, to hold against failure for longer than usual, i.e. while reps went down time under load probably went up.  Is this because, while I got lots of exercise over the past two weeks, I didn't go all the way to failure?
 
I think in general I am going too quickly, so I'm not going to go up on the weight anywhere until I really feel in control.
 
Found this very inspiring and considering doing more of this stuff too.  The link to squatting hunter gatherers in the comments was particularly interesting.  I spent more time than I usually do squatting yesterday (playing with the Little Monster and picking up toys) and I found it easier than I remember, probably because I haven't been spending that much time in a chair lately. 

No comments: