Thursday, February 19, 2009

Back from Canada; Sick; Another Stairclimb

Eating: nothing
Drinking: nothing, and jesus I need some coffee
Listening: Thank You for Sending Me an Angel
 
So, I'm back from Canada.  The new skis were great in the soft snow.  I was widestancing more than I should have, but I guess that's bound to happen if you only ski six days per year.  The hiking was very slow going, especially for the first two days, but not agonizing at all (except for the rubbing from my boots).  So I can say that, while I could have gone harder and would have benefitted from doing so, the exercise was an incredible help and enabled me to enjoy much more of the skiing than I would have otherwise. 
 
I got incredibly sick the last two days I was there.  I'm still trying to determine what the cause was.  N does not heat his house, but that may have had only a psychological effect.  I drank a lot of alcohol, and I went to the hot springs with infected holes in my feet.  The hot springs were amazing, by the way - I did six cold plunges!  BM hangs out in the cold until the gasp reflex stops, which I will try next time I'm near a plunge pool.  I read somewhere else yesterday that some guy who is 100 attributes his longevity to cold showers, and that he stays in to a count of 100, but then I pussed out in the shower this morning.  Still feeling slightly sick.
 
Despite so feeling, I did a climb of the full building yesterday in 10:29.  I was pushing semi-hard on the pace and was pretty winded by the top.  It took me I think 4:11 to walk to the bottom from 23, so I could do two or more 30' laps next time. 

No comments: